That's right, a sausage loaf. This is another recipe from the cookbook John's grandma gave me:
- 1 long loaf french bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lb pork sausage, browned and drained
- 8 oz sliced/shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400
- Split loaf lengthwise, so there is a top and bottom.
- Hollow out loaf, and put bread pieces in a bowl
- Beat eggs & milk together; set aside
- Brown and drain sausage
- Mix bread with egg/milk mix and sausage
- Spoon mix evenly into bottom of bread loaf, and bake 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and top w/cheese
- Place top of bread over cheese, and bake 5 more minutes
- Remove and slice (big or little, whatever you wish. This was technically an appetizer recipe, so it said it could make 15-20 slices).