Monday, October 12, 2009

Lasagna!...With Chicken??



That's right, chicken Lasagna! I found this recipe on another recipe blog (Sunday Baker--I have listed the link to her website under links, on the left). It is more of a chicken/pasta casserole than it is an Italian dish, but boy is it delicious! But before I give you the recipe, I have to tell you a funny story about my experience making this:
Not surprisingly, making this involves some layering (of lasagna noodles, chicken, cheese, and a "goopy" mixture of cream soups, sour cream, and ricotta cheese), followed by topping the whole dish with cheese. Well, I made my layers, topped the dish with cheese...and then realized I had completely forgotten the chicken! A bit hard to have chicken lasagna without the chicken, isn't it? Well, I wasn't about to toss the dish, so I basically had to
(1) remove the layer of cheese on top--however, it had settled into the goopy mixture, so I had to remove them together, meaning the cheese got mixed in.
(2)Remove two of the layers of noodles--however, the noodles were of course covered with cheese and the goopy mixture, so they made my hands messy.
(3) Add the chicken to the remaining "first" layer, then top with some of the messy noodles, then add chicken again, then top with the last bit of noodles
(4) At this point I was left with the goopy mixture with all the cheese that was supposed to be on top (i.e., separate from the mixture) mixed in...so I put it on top, and then added more cheese so I could have the cheese crust


It still turned out fine, but I was a bit annoyed with myself (and amused, too) for having done that. Oh well. Guess this proves my hair color is natural. ;-) ANYWAYS, for the recipe: the original recipe is here... and below is my *slightly* modified version (i.e.: she uses a whole chicken, whereas I use frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts (which I of course cook first))


Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and chopped up/shredded
12 lasagna noodles
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. ricotta cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 -3 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 c. shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
2 t. minced garlic
fresh cilantro


Directions

  1. Boil the noodles according to package instructions; make sure to add 2 T. oil to the pan to prevent noodles from sticking together. Rinse in cold water and set aside.
  2. Mix the cream soups, sour cream, ricotta, garlic, and cilantro together until well combined.
  3. Spread a little sauce baking pan before adding layers
  4. Layer the ingredients:
  • Layer 1: 4 lasagna noodles, followed by a layer of the sauce, followed by the chicken and 1/3 of the cheddar cheese
  • Layer 2: 4 lasagna noodles, followed by a layer of the sauce, followed by the chicken and 1/3 of the cheddar cheese.
  • Layer 3: 4 lasagna noodles, followed by a layer of the sauce
5. Top the 3rd layer with the remaining cheddar cheese and the Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Do not overbake it or the
noodles will be rubbery and dry

No comments:

Post a Comment