Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Chicken Saltimbocca

So, I need to improve my health/get in shape. Obviously, one way to do this is to improve my diet. I have several Weight Watchers' cookbooks, a Hungry Girl cookbook, and a low-carb Rachael Ray cookbook, not to mention the internet, at my disposal...and so I am going to try and start making more dishes that are lower in calorie/fat/etc. When nutrition and/or Weight Watcher's Points are available for a dish, I will try and include them.



Anyways, what I made tonight was Chicken Saltimbocca, i.e., chicken "rolls." It is from a Weight Watcher's cookbook called "Shortcuts." The recipe is below:

Ingredients
  • 4 (1/4 lb) chicken cutlets (I buy thin-sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
  • 2 (1/2 ounce) slices fully cooked lean ham, cut in half
  • 2 (1/2 ounce) slices fat-free swiss cheese, cut in half
  • 8 large fresh basil leaves (I actually used dried herbs instead, and it turned out fine)
  • 1 large lemon
  • 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth

Directions
  1. Arrange chicken breasts on work surface w/short sides near you. Top each one w/1 slice of the ham, 1 slice of cheese, and 2 basil leaves. Roll up, jelly-role style, and secure w/toothpick(s).
  2. Grate 1 tbs of zest from lemon; squeeze 1 tbs of lemon juice.
  3. Spray large nonstick skillet w/cooking spray, and set to medium-high heat.
  4. Add chicken rolls, seam side down, and cook till lightly browned--about 2 minutes on each side.
  5. Add broth, lemon zest, and lemon juice; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, just until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
Nutrition
Per serving (1 chicken roll with 1/4 cup sauce):
  • 167 cals
  • 4g fat (1 g Sat fat ; 0 g trans fat)
  • 72 mg Chol
  • 371 mg Sod
  • 2 g Carb
  • 0 g fiber
  • 29 g protein
  • Weight Watchers points value: 4

Both John and I thought it was good. I served it with some white rice (cooked in reduced sodium chicken broth for more flavor, and zero calories) and some Sister Schubert Wheat Dinner Rolls, which are pretty good for wheat.

Later on in the week I will be trying Veal Scallopine w/twice baked potatoes (from Weight Watchers and Hungry Girl), a Chicken Pasta Dish (Weight Watchers), and a potato soup w/blue cheese salad (Weight Watchers)...hopefully they will turn out well. I might also try some Hungry Girl' red velvet cupcakes... =)

2 comments:

  1. oh, a question i forgot to ask, have you run into any good low GI recipes alongside your low-cal / healthy pursuits? i'm gonna do one more month (maybe 2) of the physician supervised diet (lose 30, maybe 40 more pounds) then get back to normal, but low GI foods / meals will be a part of my eating habits the rest of my life, it's not that restrictive, easy enough to do, just gotta pay attention to what you're doing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't come across a recipe that explicitly stated that it was low GI...unfortunately, I love carbs, so the recipes I search for typically end up being on the higher end. =/ However, I'll keep an eye out, and if I find out, I'll send it along your way.

    Through google I did find the following website that looked promising for low GI recipes: http://fatsecret.com/recipes/collections/nutrition/low-gi/Default.aspx

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete