So, today I made some awesome (not to mention low in fat/cal/sugar) Red Velvet Cupcakes--Hungry Girl's Red Velvet Insanity Cupcakes, to be exact. But before I share the recipe, I will share the ditzy thing I did while making them:
So, in the recipe, she warns you not to worry if your batter is thin--that the cupcakes will fluff up. Well, I made my batter...and it wasn't thin at all. In fact, it was pretty thick, and, even once I had put batter in all the cupcake cups, I had tons left over. Come to find out, I was supposed to use just one cup of each cake mix...and I used the entire box of each! I should have realize when I was pouring them in that I was putting in a lot of cake vs the other ingredients...but alas, I did not. However, the batter still tasted great, it didn't really change the nutrition too much, and I just saved the extra to make later. The cupcakes I did make were pretty good--a little chewy, but both John and I liked them. Here is the recipe:
6 tbsp. Jet-Puffed Marshmellow cream
6 tbsp. Cool Whip Free, thawed
1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
1 cup Pillsbury Moist Supreme Reduced Sugar Cake Mix, Devil's Food**
1 cup Pillsbury Moist Supreme Reduced Sugar Cake Mix, Classic Yellow**
Two 25-calorie diet hot cocoa mix packets
1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1/2 oz. red food coloring
1 tsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
1/8 tsp. salt
1. Place half of your chocolate chips (2 tbsp.) and the contents of both cocoa packets in a tall glass. Add 12 ounces of boiling water, and stir until chips and cocoa mix have dissolved.
2. Place glass in the freezer until mixture is cold (about 30 minutes). Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix together marshmallow creme, cream cheese, and 1 tbsp. Splenda until smooth. Fold in Cool Whip. Place bowl in the fridge to chill until cupcakes are ready to be frosted.
3. Once the cocoa in the freezer has chilled, give it a stir, and pour it into a large mixing bowl. Add the cake mixes, egg substitute, remaining chocolate chips, red food coloring, 1 tsp. Splenda, and salt. Using a whisk or fork, mix batter for about 2 minutes (until smooth and blended). Batter will be thin, but don't worry, your cupcakes will puff up once baked!
4. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking cups, and spray lightly with nonstick spray (or simply spray the pan with nonstick spray). Evenly spoon batter into the pan. Place pan in the oven, and bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Cupcakes will look shiny when done.
5. Once cupcakes have cooled completely, evenly spread the frosting over them. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 frosted cupcake Calories: 134 Fat: 3g Sodium: 266mg Carbs: 25g Fiber: 0.75g Sugars: 11g Protein: 3g POINTS® value 3**
**Can't find the reduced-sugar cake mix? No problem! Make this recipe with regular cake mix, and each cupcake will have just 140 calories and a POINTS® value of 3*.
Only 3 points, AND yummy?? Sounds like a winner to me!