Monday, January 11, 2010

Chicken Divan


Wow, it has been awhile since I updated this...I guess it's because we've been in Huntsville the past 3 weeks for Christmas break, and our wonderful mothers have been feeding us (and we ate out some). Anyways, I am pretty excited about the meals I will making this week--tonight's dish (recipe below) is Chicken Divan, and later on in the week I will be having a "French" night, and another night I will be making a seafood dish. But, those recipes will come later. For now, I will share what we had tonight:

Chicken Divan
(you can find this recipe on various cooking/recipe sites, cookbooks, etc...the one I am using is from Paula Deen):

Ingredients
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen broccoli, chopped
6 cup shredded chicken, cooked
2 (10 3/4 -ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon curry powder
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
2 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 cup cheddar or gruyere cheese (optional)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Remove the outer wrappers from the boxes of broccoli. Open one end of each box. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes, until thawed. Drain the broccoli and put into bowl. Add the shredded chicken.
  3. To the chicken and broccoli, add the soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, cheddar cheese, lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper to taste, and wine. Whisk together to make a sauce.
  4. Place the mixture into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Pat down evenly and smooth with a spatula. Combine the Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over the top. Finally, top the whole dish with cheddar or gruyere cheese.
  5. Bake for about 30-45 minutes (depending on your oven)


BTW, I halved this recipe, since it was just John & I....and still had plenty of leftovers! I think in the future I'll omit the wine--even though it cooks out, it still gave the dish a flavor that wasn't my favorite. But, I i will probably make it again...

No comments:

Post a Comment